For those not fully informed, there is some dialogue between some high profile atheists (Sam Harris and PZ Myers) regarding profiling Muslims at the airport. Sam Harris recently wrote an article on his blog suggesting, in no uncertain terms, that we should be profiling Muslims for screening before boarding an airplane. This post stirred up some controversy and PZ Myers weighed in on his blog, repudiating Harris for his stance. There has been some back-and-forth, and it can be easy to lose track of who said what, especially since many of the blog posts are buried under newer content. For those unaware of this ongoing discussion, or those who haven’t been keeping up, please refer to the ordered links below. I will update this page as the discourse develops.
- Sam’s initial post: In Defense of Profiling
- PZ responds: NO RACIAL PROFILING, PLEASE
- PZ responds to Sam’s addendum: More discussion of profiling, pro and con
- Sam responds to criticisms: On Knowing Your Enemy
- PZ responds to Sam: My objections to profiling weren’t actually addressed…but OK
- Bruce Schneier responds to Sam: The Trouble with Profiling
- Extended debate between Harris and Schneier: To Profile or Not to Profile?